Colours of spring

I had a jolly good time trying out the BIOFA pigments I bought last week. They were on offer through Mike Wye & Associates (an eco building supplier based in Devon which does mail order). The last time I mixed paint was in about 1994 with my friend Miriam (who is now an architect in Brussels), using Cuprinol binder and all sorts of pigments and other stuff I can't remember the names of.

This time it was a rather easy affair, simply mixing up a small amount of the distemper paint I'd bought to re-paint the decorative plasterwork (maybe you remember the porridge activities of last week). I don't want anybody who may ever own this house to go through that process again, so I want to re-paint the cornices using a paint that can be washed off: distemper. David said that the next people who own this house will probably just plasterboard the whole lot. Anyway, I digress. Have a look at the paint cards I made. The colour furthest left is the pure pigment and the next one is the pigment mixed with a dollop of distemper.
 

If there is a third column, it means that I like the colour so much that I could imagine it on a wall somewhere, so I mixed a little of the mixed paint with more white distemper, to get a variety of shades.


All not very scientific, but about as laborious as I was willing to get on a Saturday afternoon. Then, true to my roots when I was in kindergarten, I ended up mixing all the shades together. The results are here:

Popular Posts